Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Right Man's Burden

I often say that it is a terrible burden to be right MOST of the time. People usually bristle at this phrase and miss the subtext. I'm not so arrogant as to think that I am right ALL the time, but I am smart enough and self-aware enough to realize that my batting average is exceptionally high.

Here is the point to me bringing this up-

One of the few unfortunate things to happen as a result of Joybundle's imminent arrival is that I had to surrender my dog, Dudley, back to the rescue I adopted him from in the fall. To describe him as completely nuts is probably being generous, in that he is a 26lb. black and white bag of neuroses and anxiety. That being said, he was wonderful with me and adorable to boot. In the few months that I had him, I became very attached but very simply he could be a little erratic in his behavior, and occasionally bitey. This was never a problem with me, but we did not feel right taking a chance on him with the baby.

Last weekend he bit a little girl at his new foster home. The little girl is ok, and so far as I know, there won't be any consequences for him other than lots of training, but it reinforced the fact that I have made the right choice in giving him up.

There's not really any solace in that knowledge. I hope they can straighten him out...

No comments:

Post a Comment