Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Few Thoughts on Travel

Recently we were made privy to yet another heretofore undiscovered way that Beeber has impacted our lives.

The day before Thanksgiving we drove to Connecticut to see my parents. I have been making this trip a couple of times a year for the last several years, but this was the first time with a baby in tow. Under the best of circumstances, this drive would take between 9 and 10 hours and we figured that it would likely take longer with an increased number of stops for diapering and such. As it turns out, this was correct. What I didn't realize was that we would need to pack a trunkful of accessories and supplies to accommodate Beeber while we were away. The abbreviated list included: a stroller, a bouncy chair, a pack-n-play, diapers, formula, bottled water, baby monitor, clothing, toys, books, bottles, bottle brushes, etc. It was a mountain of stuff.

I cannot stress how much of an adjustment this was for me. Previously I was able to travel with little more than a backpack. I could get on a plane, get on a bus and find my way around for days with all my necessities on my person. Having to bring a carful of stuff to appease a being that accounts for 5% of my body weight blew my mind. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this will get worse before it gets better.

Having made the return drive from Connecticut, I was at home for less than 12 hours before I had to leave again for a week for a conference. This is the first time I've been away from home since Beeber was born, and I cannot stress how much it sucks. I usually have to take 2 week long trips a year, and previously they we somewhat welcomed experiences that would allow me to see new places and/or old friends and family on the company dime. It also helped that I had a (now ex-)wife at home that was happy to see me go, and that I was happy to leave behind. Having people at home that miss you makes traveling a real kick in the groin.

No comments:

Post a Comment